Learning My Way Through...

They say that life teaches you a lot before it teaches you to be human. I learned a lot in my professional life, though I am still not sure if I reached that human-point yet!

Or haven't I?

The first thing I learned, was that the reason behind an angry project manager is either a bad cup of coffee, the horoscope in the paper, or that email he received this morning. Sometimes, you can even blame it on the weather... and as cynical as it sounds, this usually is true!

I came to know that understanding products is not a very complicated task. By the eternal laws of proportion, during training you try to understand a product, and the product tries to understand you. And both parties need to find a common ground where they can resolve all their issues with respect for each other.

And sooner or later, you come to terms with the fact that things take longer than they usually do. Therefore estimates are not a good thing to give away. And remember, too much of perfection can easily lead you to one million bugs and a free ticket to the judgment day.

Speaking of the judgment day - teepee meetings are a good way of expressing our views about the company. Usually these feelings revolve around 'I like Elixir', through 'abundance of positive energy' to 'I love Elixir' - three hours of standing and five days of muscle pain... Confused? Read the paragraph again.

An interesting fact is that developers are people who talk a certain language that is harder to understand than understanding the product. And that the ones testing the bugs are the ones who-should-not-be-named, or blamed, since they always test it using scenarios, other scenarios, and all possible scenarios, which is usually followed by a p.s. saying: 'and we did miss a few scenarios and few other things like other scenarios etc. etc.!'

The most important thing I learned was the fact that managers have a tendency of showing up right when you take a five minutes break or start browsing; and that Napolean is always right; Monday is not a good day for having lunch in the office; and "I'm not feeling well" is not the best excuse for calling in sick!

And I really learned that work goes on; products, patches and guides are released, and at the end of the day when you meet your deadline, you feel like one lucky person to be a part of Elixir.

Phew,the last line just saved me!

- Isbah Z

Comments

Isbah Omer said…
This article is based on the Elixir culture and was published in the company magazine for the Feb 2006 issue... dont know about you, but I love this baby :)
Syra said…
it rocks!
lolz@developers are people who talk a certain language that is harder to understand than understanding the product

Popular posts from this blog

Sin City

Pick Me, Choose Me, Love Me!

I Love Him